Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vintage Border Print Fabrics ~Love Them!

I'm not sure what it is about these border prints, but I just love them! The designs are so fun to use in projects because its like having two or more fabrics in one, depending on where and how you cut it.
Vintage border prints came in a variety of designs including floral, novelty, geometric, Penn-Dutch, and even scenic. Here's an example of a cowboy/western scenic one...

There were also a number of border print feedsacks made. These were often used to make pillowcases, curtains, and aprons. But, as you can probably tell from my collection, my favorites are the florals. I almost didn't recognize this lovely Lily of the Valley fabric as a border print, but then noticed the small row of roses along the one edge. I was thrilled to find it in both a yellow and a pink colorway! Love this Poppy and daisy print.

Aaaahhhh, this one is special, I have plans for it. :)
I love the contrast of the black leaves against the white and the way they trail off towards the other selvage. One day I hope to make a skirt based on this vintage pattern...I think its genius! Although you would normally think of the border going along the bottom of a skirt, here they've turned it the other way and created a circle skirt. LOVE it!

And I can't help but notice how many border prints are being used in today's fashions...from skirts and dresses, to tunics, to children's wear. A very welcome comeback. :)

15 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the green and white rose border print feedsack. So pretty. And that cowboy print is gorgeous.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

This is a wonderful tour of border fabrics.

Stacy said...

Very pretty border fabrics. I love the one with the blue roses.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Kimberly the fabric makes me weak. It is so lovely. Border prints are a favorite of mine. I have some that I just can't bare to cut into. Love seeing the fabric show.

Georgia Peachez said...

Yes! I love border prints and I love your collection. That pattern is really something, how clever, who woulda thunk it! xo, suzy

Momoo said...

Vintage fabric with a vintage pattern, couldn't be neater.
I just noticed today that there are a lot of border fabrics out there. Saw one with very big and bright flowers on the bottom and 2 inch white and black stripes above. I loved the contrast but can't think of where I could use it.

Unknown said...

I love the fabrics you're showcasing. The cowboy/scenic print is great. Love the White skirt pattern with pink rose edge.
I have aa apron I embroidered that is from the 50's that is a border print fabric. That must've been the rage in the 50's. Neat.

KitschKrafts said...

Love that turquoise pillowcase border print. I think that black leaf and blue flower print would be fabulous if you turned it upside down to make a circle skirt- how hip and mod, really!

antonia said...

hallooo, please have a look at our website
http://www.spinstersemporium.com

much spinsterlovexx

Heather S Thompson said...

After reading this blog entry, I had a dream about floral bordered fabric. then saw a vintage day dress at the flea market , in the same vein as your featured pattern. Thanks for the education. I wish I had taken a pic of that dress!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Great collection! You must have so much fun creating your pieces. Would love to see the skirt someday!

Martha said...

I'm so jealous -- that is one nice collection of border fabrics. I'm so happy to have found your blog and a fellow vintage fabric lover. Also, you bags are just beautiful-- I especially love the way you combine fabrics.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Thanks Martha!
Yes, I have no will power when it comes to vintage border prints. LOL

Kimberly :)

Anonymous said...

I love these border prints! I just bought a cute vintage apron made from a border print. I love it. x

Jenny said...

I also love the border prints and the challenge of using them in unexpected ways! Have you browsed the patterns in the "Border Print" category on the vintage pattern wiki? There are some great patterns for border fabrics that use the designs in very unusual ways.

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Border_Print